5 Characteristics Every Support Team Needs
When you’re stranded with a canceled flight, who can help? When you need to modify a reservation, who do you need? When you need late checkout because of a meeting, who is there for you? The answer: customer support.
Technology has come a far way in terms of services, community platforms, and self-service applications, but it is difficult to completely replace the value customer support brings to a business traveler and there is a long standing debate as to what elements make up a great customer support team.
Here are our top 5 characteristics of an amazing support team:
- A Human Interaction – Some say having a human behind the computer causes errors, but how well does a computer truly listen? A computer might do well with canned responses, which a human should have for simple items as well, but when travelers have complex requests there is nothing like a real person helping you. There’s an element of trust that this person will get the job done right and go the extra mile.
- Personable People – While an actual human should be behind the phone, chat, or email, it’s important who that person is. We have all dealt with that rude customer service representative that is not truly listening to what you are asking. These employees are the face, or voice of the company to clients. They should be empathetic, understanding, and ready to resolve any challenge.
- A Collaborative Team – Customer support is only as good as the team around them. Having a team that works together to make necessary changes or implement feedback is what makes support’s life easier an effective workforce.
- Organization – When a customer contacts support, they don’t want to wait to be kept waiting. At the same time, the support team does not want to answer the same question over and over. To ensure both of these situations are avoided, the team needs to be organized with user preferences, customer information, processes, and a way to manage previous conversations.
- Knowledge - Support can have all the training and resources available, but sometimes they just need to know when to apologize to a client and go the extra mile. When a customer is stuck or frustrated on a business trip, it can be the most stressful experience and even impact their job satisfaction. Customer support representatives are not just problem solvers, but sometimes therapists.
Here at TripActions, customer support is one of the most important roles on the team. We work hard to ensure every user has an incredible experience, because that directly translates into our company’s growth and success. No traveler wants to feel more alone when problems occur on the road. Other companies might not feel as strongly.
By having a customer support team with these qualities, we have created a customer centric company culture here at TripActions. Our team members are some of the best in the industry and take extreme pride in helping every person with any request before, during, or after their trip. As our team grows, we will ensure that we keep to these high standards of support.