A 3-Minute Look Back at Travel in 2020
Shutdowns, waves, second waves, uncertainty, hope, and optimism were all part of the roller-coaster year that was unlike any we’ve seen in our lifetimes.
And as we prepare to tackle the challenges of 2021, we wanted to take a quick look back at how these previous months unfolded...and how we at TripActions responded.
The World Locks Down
- January 30: The pandemic takes center stage as the WHO declares an international public health emergency.
- March 5: California declares a state of emergency.
- March 10–14: Italy, France, and Spain impose lockdowns; Australia and other countries extend entry bans.
- March 15: New York and Los Angeles shut restaurants, bars, and theaters.
- March 24: India goes into lockdown and the 2020 Summer Olympic Games are postponed.
TripActions responds: Shifting into high gear, TripActions quickly built a new suite of Business Continuity Tools to help travel managers and travelers respond better to the pandemic.
Sparks of Light Appear
- April: Some European countries start to ease up on restrictions.
- May: Air travel slowly starts picking up, spurring others to travel by plane.
- June: It’s exciting news when the UN Tourism Organization reports that people are starting to get back to traveling.
- June: With success combatting the virus, New Zealand lifts social and economic restrictions (though not border control).
- Labor Day: The TSA screens almost 1 million passengers...a record for the pandemic.
TripActions responds: As the business world starts to return to normal, they’ll have a new tool: TripActions Liquid, an innovative expense management system that changes the game by doing away with expense reports. Check it out!
- September: The Global Business Travel Association publishes thrilling research that in-person events will return, and that a majority of its companies expect their employees to return to in-person events in 2021.
- December 8: Progress! Vaccinations begin in the UK and start happening in the U.S. days later.
TripActions responds: Travel is coming back! What does that rollout look like in 2021? Find out! It’s all in the TripActions + Skift report on 2021 Business Travel Trends.