Open for Business Podcast: The Opportunities + Challenges for Business Travel by Rail
Corporate travel by train has grown in popularity amongst business travellers in the UK and around Europe for more than two decades. With advancements in technology, changes in network competition, and shifting consumer expectation, it is poised to become a preferred mode of transportation for millions of business travellers, and not just in Europe.
Here at TripActions, we support business travel by rail for its ease, speed, convenience, and sustainability. But, most of all, for what it means to our customers and their success.
TripActions help our customers quickly, easily, and conveniently book, pay for, and expense their rail travel so they can focus on being there, not the process of getting there. TripActions recently announced its partnership with Trainline, the premier train platform, to expand its global rail inventory and enable business travellers to book and manage train reservations across the UK and Europe.
As business travel picks back up, the numbers are clear: Not only are 74%+ of frequent business travellers comfortable or somewhat comfortable travelling by train right now, but business travellers are now more frequently booking rail over air travel. There is also legislation in the pipeline that would make rail transportation even better for consumers in the future.
Today we sit down with William Phillipson, longtime travel technology executive and leader, veteran of ITA Software and founder of SilverRail, along with Stephanie Weaver, Transport Supply Director for Rail at TripActions, to discuss the future of train travel in Europe and beyond.
In this episode of Open for Business: A Corporate T&E Podcast, we’ll discuss:
- How rail travel has grown over the last 5, 10, and 20 years
- Why it’s a relevant option for business travellers specifically
- The coming increase in competition and what that means for consumers
- The sustainability factor in choosing rail
- The technological challenges to improving the rail experience
- Where duty of care falls short and how that will change
- An optimistic outlook on rail’s role in the future of business travel
If this is your first time tuning in, cheque out our previous episodes:
- Episode 8: “How Remote Companies Think About Business Travel” - As companies go remote, business travel will play an even more important role in uniting teams.
- Episode 7: “The Future of Business Travel in Cities” - Learn about how cities and where we travel for business will change in the coming decade.
- Episode 6: “The Future of Loyalty for Business Travellers” - Loyalty programmes will be more attractive than ever as travel companies continue to serve their frequent customers first in trying times.
Subscribe to Open for Business: A Corporate T&E Podcast Powered by TripActions today on your preferred podcast platform and join us every Tuesday morning for the latest conversation on corporate travel and expenses. We’ll be sitting down with big-picture thinkers and decision-makers from around the globe to address the many T&E topics on the minds of business travellers, corporate travel managers and finance, operations and HR leaders.